With the advent of the Next Generation Science Standards Science Education has taken on a new relevance and sense of importance in the field of education. Paramount to a successful science program is providing support and services for educators. Educational Consultant Stephen Lechner introduces teachers to creative, inquiry-based science experiences that make science mysterious, exciting and fun for the educator and the learner, at all levels of educational development. Each workshop weaves direct-experience with materials and problem-solving exercises to help teachers experience science for themselves, just as scientists do when they undertake investigations and make new discoveries. Through these S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) based workshops, science becomes a tool to spark participants’ interest in discovering and investigating the physical and natural worlds around them.
Stephen Lechner has over thirty years of experience in the field of science education within both formal and informal educational settings, working with teachers at both the early childhood and elementary levels. Through in service programs, ongoing support, or a long-term collaborative effort, Steve can help teachers to reach a new comfort level and appreciation for science and the world around them. A comprehensive science curriculum is one that turns children “on” to science, and is exciting and fun for teachers to teach. It encompasses:
- Science (our understanding and explanations of the physical and natural world)
- Technology (the discoveries, tools and inventions we create to help us adapt to our natural environment)
- Engineering (the application of technological discoveries to solve real world problems)
- Mathematics (the science of pattern and order, through the use of arithmetic, geometry, data, measurement, numbers, chance, form, algorithms, change, and scientific observations)
These are the basic underlying themes that make up S.T.E.M. education. Stephen Lechner can help you and your school create and implement a plan to help students develop positive attitudes and a deep appreciation for the wonders of nature, the inventions of technology, and the fun and excitement that encompasses science and its world of discovery.
- A bibliography, resource sheet for materials, and activity descriptions are provided with each workshop.
- Steve is credentialed through the State of NH, Department of HHS as an
“Early Childhood and Afterschool Master Professional with the
Workshop Trainer/Program Consultant Endorsement”.
Science Learning Centers
The perfect place to focus this teaching and learning process is a Science Learning Center. This school, town, or regionally based space is designed to actively promote science education for students and educators. It is a place for teachers to go for support and guidance in their science curriculum planning, and a system for providing unique and innovative science experiences for students.
Just as every school and district may have differing needs, Science Learning Centers may take on different shapes or forms. But each one should have the same goal in mind: the pursuit of the finest student science education and teacher support available. For more information and support in designing, developing, or re-creating a Science Learning Center to meet your town, school, or even classroom’s specific needs, please contact Steve Lechner by phone or email.
Educator Inservice Programs
Early Childhood, Afterschool, K-5
- EXPLORATIONS in SCIENCE
- DESIGNING CREATIVE PLAY SPACES
- SETTING UP CLASSROOM AND SCHOOL SCIENCE CENTERS
- THE WORLD ABOVE US (Air/Weather/Space)
- EARTH SCIENCE (Rocks/Minerals/Sand)
- MIRRORS AND KALEIDOSCOPES
- LIGHT AND COLOR
- THE “WATER” COLLECTION
- BOUNCING AND ROLLING
- BUBBLES ALL AROUND
- SCIENCE MAGIC & KITCHEN CHEMISTRY
- MAGNETIC EXPLORATIONS
Early Childhood, Afterschool
- THE SCIENCE-ART CONNECTION
- THE SCIENCE-MATH CONNECTION
- EXCURSIONS IN NATURE
- SUMMER SCIENCE
- SCIENCE AND CHILDREN’S LITERATURE
- THE MINI-MUSEUM (School and Classroom Museum Exhibits)
- SIMPLE MACHINE BALL TRACK
- MENTOS-DIET COKE CHALLENGE
- WATER WIZARDRY
- OPTICAL ILLUSIONS AND VISUAL EFFECTS
- CLASSROOM SHOWMANSHIP
For more information, please contact Steve Lechner at The SCIENCE WORKS!